Last updated: 2020-01-23
Categories are used to group items based on the type of work to be done on the project. After creating and updating categories, designers will assign categories to road segments or structure segments, or a combination of both.
Requirement: The category number, category description, and federal work category must match FIIPS exactly, except that the description should be mixed case. The Federal Work Category code is equivalent to the Federal Improvement Type code in FIIPS. If you are aware of changes to these fields in FIIPS, you must update them manually in AWP. These fields are not part of the periodic FIIPS update process.
When adding or editing categories, refer to these additional resources:
- Refer to Introduction to an Estimate: Category Numbering for more details on numbering categories.
- Complete the required fields, using the field tool tips or the Category Data Fields table for guidance.
- Select the Federal Work Category code based on the Federal Improvement Type code listed on the FIIPS - Category Funding Summary screen.
- Select the Categories and Items quick link at the top of the screen to add, edit, copy, or delete categories. Select the Categories tab. Categories assigned to the project in Estimator will appear. Staff can create a new category, edit an existing category, copy an existing category, or delete an existing category.
- To edit an existing category, click the expand arrow on the left side of the category to edit the category’s detail. Complete the required fields, using the field tool tips or Category Data Fields table for guidance. Click <Save> when complete.
- To create a new category, click <New>. Complete the required fields, using the field tool tips or Category Data Fields table for guidance. Click <Save> when complete.
- To copy a category, expand the category, expand the component actions menu on the right side, and select Copy to open the Copy Category component.
Info: For additional information for copying a category within the same project or to a different project, see Copying a Category in the AASHTOWare Project online help.
- Project ID - To copy a category to another project, enter the destination project's ID.
- Category ID - To make a copy of a category within the same project, enter a new Category ID. If copying to a different project, a different category ID may be entered.
- When copying a category to another project, designers have the ability to decide what to copy. Select the appropriate checkboxes for the data to be copied including Copy Fund Packages, Copy Alternate Sets, or Copy Locations.
- Click <Copy Category to Project>. Expand the new category to edit required fields.
- To delete a category, expand the component actions menu on the right side and select "Delete". Click <Save> to confirm the category deletion.
Warning: A category cannot be deleted if there are associated items. Delete the items first and then delete the category.
Go to Adding or Editing Road Segments, the next step under Creating an Estimate in Preconstruction.