Last updated: 2020-04-30
Understanding Roles (total video time 1:21)
A user role is a name associated with a collection of security access rights to the information contained in system components. Roles combine the permissions needed for several related tasks and allow you more efficient access to the portion of the system you need. The WisDOT AASHTOWare Project™ System Administrators have created several roles for our agency. Some staff may have one role and others may have multiple roles.
Here are some examples of WisDOT AASHTOWare Project Preconstruction™ and Construction™ roles:
- BidLetMgmt role for the Bureau of Project Development Proposal Management Bid Letting Team
- ContractSpecialist role for Construction and Maintenance contract administration
- Designer role for Design Engineers
- Inspector role for Construction Inspectors
- PlanReviewer role for the Bureau of Project Development Plan Reviewers
- ProjectEngineer role for Construction Project Engineers and Maintenance Coordinators
- ProjectManager role for Construction Project Managers
- ReadOnlyConstr role for read only access to AWP Construction & Materials
- ReadOnlyPrecon role for read only access to AWP Preconstruction
- RefDataMgmt role for staff that maintain system reference data
You can switch your role at any time while working within the application. By selecting a different role, your permissions and security access are changed to reflect the areas you need to access to perform duties under the selected role. When roles are switched, the system continues to display the component you are working on unless the new role does not have access to the component. If that is the case, the system either displays an error stating system access to the displayed component is denied or sets the view to the dashboard.
- Click on the Home action button to view the role list for the logged in user.
- A green checkmark appears next to the active role.
- Click on the role you wish to switch to.
- The role will now be active for the component you had opened under the previous role. The role being used will also display at the top of the dashboard (home screen).